After Kozhikode, Shigella bacterial infection has been confirmed in Ernakulam as well. On December 23, doctors diagnosed a 56-year-old woman from Chottanikara, who was admitted to a private hospital following fever, with Shigella.
Ernakulam District Collector S Suhas confirmed that there is no need for panic while two people are under surveillance. On Tuesday, in the wake of the suspected case, an emergency meeting was convened at the district medical office to assess the situation with District Medical Officer-in-Charge Dr Vivek Kumar heading the meeting. The Health Department officials are planning to conduct awareness campaigns in the area and precautionary measures will be implemented.
Health department officials, experts from medical college, food safety officials, and medical officer of the primary health centre visited Chottanikara and collected samples from water sources for further testing.
Earlier this month, the Shigella outbreak came to light after the death of an 11-year-old boy in Kozhikode. Later, around 30 people were diagnosed with the infection, but they all recovered after a few days’ treatments.
Shigella bacteria cause an infection called shigellosis, which is usually mild but can be serious in patients having comorbid conditions. Hygiene, drinking boiled water, and washing hands properly before and after food are some of the precautionary measures.